School Board officials provide update on reasons for recommendation on busing contracts | InQuinte.ca
×
Today's latest storiesBelleville Police lay charges in intimate partner violence, impaired driver evading RIDE on long weekendLong investigation into fraud results in execution of arrest warrantUPDATE: Man charged in stabbing incident over long weekend in BellevilleNorthumberland OPP seeking public assistance in theft caseA Peek at The Machining Center (and a Cool Metal Toolbox) for the Next GenerationMcHappy Day pulls in $21,000-plus to support local YMCAEndless Summer brings back the heavy Military hitters in 2026Napanee Battery Energy Storage System comes online and on-budgetZack Card holds official Mayoral Campaign launch in Quinte WestImpaired, drug possession charges laid following traffic stop in Quinte WestMotorcyclist dies in Brighton crashCriminal charges laid following collision in Prince Edward CountyTwo-day heatwave continues Tuesday in QuinteTruck fire closes Highway 7 west of PerthCUPE 1842 Celebrates Paramedic Services Week 2026Province investing $15,000 in Port Hope Jazz FestivalKingston Police asking public not to contact them about power problemsRoar of the superbikes ringing out at Shannonville Motorsports ParkQFN holding plant sale Saturday in BellevilleDowntown Docfest coming to an end after 14 years

School Board officials provide update on reasons for recommendation on busing contracts

By Paul Martin Mar 31, 2026 | 9:44 AM

Two high-ranking officials with the Hastings and Prince Edward School Board have provided some additional context to their report on a motion which had been suggesting they cancel the recently awarded contracts for busing for the upcoming school year.

Trustee Ernie Parsons had filed a Notice of Motion last month to overturn a decision to award the tenders and remove the Board from the contracts awarded by Tri-Board Transportation and conduct a new process independently. Concerns had surfaced that none of the companies chosen were local.

That motion was ruled out of order by the Board Chair and a motion to challenge that decision was defeated 8-2 against.

Director of Education Katherine MacIver and Superintendent of Business Services Bryce Wilson provided some additional background to the media on Tuesday morning.

MacIver said “”we are supportive and appreciative of the services provided by Tri-Board Transportation,” adding “I have no concerns about the procurement process that was enacted.”

She also said the motion to cancel the contracts would have likely resulted in liability issues since you would be breaking a contract awarded in a fair process.

In addition, MacIver says divesting from Tri-Board, changing policies, and launching a new procurement process would have been very time consuming and unlikely to be completed in time for busing to be ready for the fall session.

Superintendent of Business Services Bryce Wilson says 75% of the tender was based on technical performance (which included safety in all four components) and 25% was based on price.

Wilson says the companies selected satisfy the new rules under the Buy Ontario Act procurement guidelines even though some aren’t Canadian companies because they have at least 250 employees here in Ontario (which is one of the criteria under the new rules).

The new contracts are for a seven-year term.